Coinbase is proud to publish our second Transparency Report, covering the period from July 1, 2020 through December 31, 2020. The goal of this report is to keep our customers informed about requests for customer information we receive from government agencies and law enforcement, along with where they come from, and how we respond to them. We intend to provide additional insights and observations in future reports as we gather more data. For additional background and context, see our inaugural report here.
Period: July 1, 2020 — December 31, 2020
Total Requests Received: 2,313
- There were a total of ~4,227 requests in 2020, 54% of those requests made during the time period covered by this report.
- Similar to the first half of 2020:
– ~90% of requests are from the U.S., U.K., and Germany
– The FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigation) and HSI (Homeland Security Investigations) comprise the majority of U.S. law enforcement information requests at ~50.9%
– ~51% of total requests during this period came from U.S. agencies, down 7% from the prior period
- There was a ~20% increase in requests from France